Monday, April 23, 2012

Naked Southwestern Burgers

I recently had dinner at the Met Bar & Grille and I must admit I had a small anxiety attack on the way there. What am I going to eat at a steakhouse known for their burgers?!? Little did I know, the Met offers a custom burger bar menu! You can go bunless, topless, white or whole grain - turkey, kobe, salmon, veggie...the list goes on. Since we are only on week 2 of the 12 week TLS program, I obviously opted for the bunless option. The perfect combo for me was a turkey Grecian burger - tzaziki, hummus, pickled cucumbers and tomatoes with a side salad. Amazing. It is so awesome to be able to eat out and be healthy!

Naturally, I had to make my own version of the said bunless burger....





Naked Southwestern Burgers
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 lb. ground turkey or extra lean ground beef
1 red onion, diced
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 avocados, halfed, sliced
1 large beef tomato, sliced
1 cup low fat mexican blend cheese
Fresh salsa (no sugar) (optional)
Lettuce
Salt & Pepper

Directions:
Heat your grill to high (we have a George Forman). Combine the meat, onion and all spices in a medium bowl, then form into 4 patties. Grill to desired done-ness and sprinkle with cheese. Layer the lettuce, tomato, burger and salsa and top each burger with one half an avocado.

These "naked" burgers can be made sooo many ways and totally fulfill the craving for a regular juicy burger!

No comments:

Post a Comment