Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Half Marathon - who me?


If someone had told me a few years back that today I would be training for a half marathon I would have laughed (obnoxiously) in their face – more in disbelief that such an idea could be possible rather than it actually being funny.
 I played volleyball in high school and DREADED the measly 12 minute warm up run every single day. It is truly incredible how you can change your body and mind. I must admit, I don’t think I would be where I am today without my coach (aka boyfriend, ha). Matt has been a runner his whole life, competing in track and whatnot, so when we started running together it was hard for him to understand my struggle. I was huffing-puffing-grunting and on the verge of puking after the first half mile (so sad, I know). With his help it is a completely different story now, which I am so incredibly happy to say. I am a self-proclaimed couch potato turned 5k a day runner! And with EASE! It is the best feeling in the world to overcome such a physical struggle.



It is going to be incredible to say this year, “I ran my first half-marathon” I CAN’T WAIT. I won’t lie though – I am scared! Matt and I do our distance runs on the weekends and we are up to 7 miles, but by the end of the run I am drained. It’s only halfway there to the big 13.1 – yikes. Here is the training schedule I am following to work up to the big run in May 2012! (at least I have plenty of time)
Monday: Run 3-4 miles + light weight reps
Tuesday: Non-Impact Cardio 45-60 mins (i.e. Bike or Elliptical)
Wednesday: Run 3-4 miles + light weight reps
Thursday: Non-Impact Cardio 45-60 mins
Friday: REST
Saturday: Distance Run (at 7 miles now) adding a mile every other week
Sunday: REST




Boston's Run to Remember (2011 Photo)

No comments:

Post a Comment