Thursday, February 16, 2012

Skinny Chicken Marsala

I am a carb-o-holic, so even in dieting I need my pasta/anything Italian fix. Luckily I found a great whole wheat pasta at Whole Foods that doesn't have the grainy texture of most. Whole Foods' line of 365 Everyday Value foods is awesome, and this is the whole wheat pasta I now swear by.

Chicken marsala is one of my Italian favorite dishes because I looove mushrooms and the marsala wine adds such a rich and sweet flavor without the added fat of other rich italian pasta dishes (ie. alfredo!). This version  of the recipe is slightly adapted from the weight watchers recipe.

I should note that, to my dismay, my camera is broken!!!! Not worry I am buying a new one this weekend! This was such a beautiful dish and I am so sad I don't have any pics, but trust me....it is DELICIOUS :) and nothing beats healthy and delicious. I served my chicken over a small portion of the whole wheat pasta and a side of fresh steamed broccoli. Enjoy!



Ingredients
2 tsp olive oil   
1 cup(s) fresh mushroom(s), fresh, sliced   
1 pound uncooked boneless skinless chicken breast(s), four 4 oz pieces   
1 tsp dried thyme
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 Tbsp I Can't Believe it's not Butter
1/2 tsp table salt   
1/4 tsp black pepper   
1 cup Marsala wine 
1 1/2 cup(s) canned beef broth, reduced-sodium, divided   
1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch   

Instructions
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until tender and releasing liquid, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside

Meanwhile, place chicken on a plate and season both sides with thyme, salt and pepper. Place chicken in the center of skillet and sauté until golden, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.

Add the mushrooms back to the skillet. Add wine, garlic and butter; simmer about 1 minute. Add 3/4 cup of broth and simmer, uncovered, until chicken is tender.

Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/2 cup of broth in a small bowl, then add the mixture to the skillet. Simmer until sauce thickens, stirring constantly. Serve chicken with mushroom sauce spooned over top. 


YumYumYum

No comments:

Post a Comment