Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Pineapple & Red Pepper Quinoa

I have eaten Quinoa many times, in many different varieties. However, I HAVE NEVER COOKED IT!

Disgraceful, I know. This fiber packed whole grain is absolutely delicious. I can't get enough. I picked up some flounder filets and shrimp and needed a good side dish to go with them. Enter: pineapple & red pepper quinoa. YUM YUM YUM.


Matt and I are running in our first 5k this weekend (late much? I know) I have been so focused on gaining endurance and staying consistent with my running workout that I never thought to sign up for a race! Now is the time and we are running in our hometown (America's hometown in fact!). The race also offers a 10k and half marathon, but I didn't think it would be right to just skip over the 5k. Can't wait! My PR for a 5k is just over 28 mins, so I'm hoping to at least not go over that :)



Pineapple & Red Pepper Quinoa

Ingredients:
1 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 1/2 cup fat free chicken broth
1 cup red pepper, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup pineapple chunks, diced
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 Tbsp EVOO
S&P

Directions:
Add the quinoa to the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer until all liquid is absorbed, about 15 mins. Meanwhile, heat the oil over med/high heat in a saute pan. Add the peppers and onions and saute until softened, about 7 minutes. Combine the peppers and onions with the quinoa, then mix in the pineapples, juice, salt and pepper. Heat the mixture over low heat for another 5 minutes to combine flavors.

I served this over a whole wheat crusted flounder filet and topped with shrimp sauted in a simple garlic sauce. Delish :)




No comments:

Post a Comment