Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps


Lettuce wraps are my new obsession. You can take a usually fatty meal {beef tacos} and turn it into something light, healthy, and amazingly delicious.

Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
I love being able make comfort foods healthy. Yes, tacos are a comfort food for me - much love to my Mexican family on my Mom's side :)

In Mexico, it is a sin to put sour cream on your taco. However, I LOVE IT. But, I no longer use sour cream...ever. I have switched to Greek yogurt and I find that it gives the same creamy, tangy flavor without raining on your healthy eating parade. Check out this article from LiveStrong.com that gives all the details on the nutritional differences between Greek yogurt and sour cream. It is a deal breaker.


Ingredients:
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 Tbsp EVOO
2 Tbsp chili powder *use less if you don't want it too spicy
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp paprika
1 Tbsp cumin
2 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
Boston Lettuce leaves (Romaine would be good, too)
0% Plain Greek Yogurt
Salsa
*Feel free to use any of your favorite taco toppings such as avocado, low fat cheese, or any kind of salsa (I kept it simple)

Directions:
In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and all spices breaking the meat up as it cooks. Once cooked through (no pink) remove from heat and assemble! SO EASY!

I served mine with some black beans and cilantro lime brown rice.
They are really good the next day at work, too.....



Here is a little sneak at my after TLS look :) 35 pounds and counting! AND 24 inches total lost!



1 comment: